What you need to know after getting Botox therapy:
The guidelines to follow post treatment have been followed for years, and are still employed today to prevent the possible side effect of ptosis (drooping of the eyelids) and undesired migration of the solution. These measures should minimize the possibility of ptosis.
• No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 24 hours following treatment. It is now known that it takes the toxin approximately 2-4 hours to bind itself to the nerve to start its work, and because we do not want to increase circulation to that area to displace the Botox® from where it was injected.
• Avoid manipulation of area for 24 hours following treatment. (For the same reasons listed above.) This includes not doing a facial, peel, or microdermabrasion after treatment with Botox®. A facial, peel, or microdermabrasion can be done in same appointment only if they are done before the Botox®.
• Bruising may occur at the injection site and takes on average 4-7 days to go away.
• Facial exercises in the injected areas is recommended for 1 hour following treatment. This is to stimulate the binding of the toxin only to the localized area.
• It can take 2 -10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the patient contact the office no later than 2 weeks after treatment if desired effect was not achieved and no sooner to give the toxin time to work.
Makeup may be applied before leaving the office.